I want to talk about just a bit more.
As you can see, MCE has just released its Impact Report. (you can read it by clicking HERE). When you scan through it, you will see most of the reason that our Town has been able to be so successful so far in reducing our Greenhouse Gas Emissions. This is especially so for those who participate in Deep Green.
Sometimes, I have been asked whether it is a good thing to ask people to sign up for Deep Green. MCE is actually on the path to making its basic service offering 100% renewable in a couple of years.
We, on the Climate Action Committee, think is critical that as many of us as possible do sign up. Here are some reason why:
1. The little bit extra you pay each month (about $5 per month per household) goes to help MCE to develop its storage and other facilities which will help us all to do better over time, including those who can't afford the extra $5. SO, if you CAN afford it, please do this as a step towards social justice.
2. Everything we can do now makes the climate hill a bit less steep to climb in the future.
3. The more of us who sign up, the more we send a signal to the supply market that we want renewable energy to protect the health of our community. We are tired of paying for harmful emissions. Tell them we care.
4. It can help to inspire you to do more. Habits begin with a first step. Taking this first critical step can help motivate us to find the next small step, and then the next and then the next.
5. This is power in community. In the aggregate, we can make a substantial difference. We have something like 2500 households in Fairfax (this is off the top of my head, and not very precise, so forgive me if my number is a bit wrong). If all of us make this change, we will make a substantial difference.
6. San Anselmo has challenged us to a competition. They are out there trying to sign up for Anselmians than we can sign up Farifaxians. We can't allow them to beat us.
So, thank you to MCE.
Sign up for Deep Green. Let us know if you need help doing it.
Sign up your friends to Deep Green.
Join us for our first Climate Emergency Conversation on October 12, at 6:30 pm.
And, most of all, thank you for being part of this community.